Use the checklist below to review the steps for completion of “Applying and Removing Personal Protective Equipment.”
Disclaimer: Always review and follow agency policy regarding this specific skill.
- Check the provider’s order for the type of precautions.
- Ensure that all supplies are available before check-off begins: isolation cart, gowns, gloves, mask, goggles/face shields, etc.
- Perform hand hygiene.
- Apply PPE in the correct order:
- 1st (GOWN): Gown should cover outer garments. Pull the sleeves down to the wrists, and tie at neck & waist.
- 2nd (MASK/RESPIRATOR): Apply surgical mask or N95 respirator if indicated by transmission-based precaution. Fit the mask around the nose and chin, securing bands around ears or tie straps at top of head and base of neck.
- 3rd (EYE PROTECTION): Apply goggles/face shield if indicated for patient condition or transmission-based precautions.
- 4th (CLEAN GLOVES): Pull on gloves to cover the wrist of the gown.
- Remove PPE in the correct order:
- 1st REMOVE GLOVES: REMEMBER: GLOVE TO GLOVE; SKIN TO SKIN. Do not touch contaminated gloves to your skin. Take off the contaminated glove with your gloved hand, wrapping the contaminated glove in the palm of your gloved hand. Take off the glove with your bare hand to the skin of your wrist, moving inside of the glove to remove the contaminated glove inside out over the other glove. Note: If the gown is tied in front, untie it prior to removing your glove.
- 2nd REMOVE GOWN: Untie all ties (or unsnap all buttons). Some gown ties can be broken rather than untied. Do so in a gentle manner, avoiding a forceful movement. Reach up to the shoulders and carefully pull the gown down and away from the body. Rolling the gown down is an acceptable approach. Dispose in trash receptacle.
- 3rd PERFORM HAND HYGIENE.
- 4th REMOVE FACE SHIELD or GOGGLES: Carefully remove face shield or goggles by grabbing the strap and pulling upwards and away from head. Do not touch the front of face shield or goggles.
- 5th REMOVE MASK or RESPIRATOR: Do not touch the front of the face shield or goggles.
- Respirator: Remove the bottom strap by touching only the strap and bringing it carefully over the head. Grasp the top strap and bring it carefully over the head, and then pull the respirator away from the face without touching the front of the respirator.
- Face mask: Carefully untie (or unhook from the ears) and pull it away from the face without touching the front.
- 6th PERFORM HAND HYGIENE after removing the mask.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2020, August 19). Using personal protective equipment (PPE). https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/using-ppe.html ↵