4.8 Checklist for Applying and Removing Sterile Gloves
Open Resources for Nursing (Open RN)
Use the checklist below to review the steps for completion of “Applying and Removing Sterile Gloves.”
Video Review of Applying Sterile Gloves:
Disclaimer: Always review and follow agency policy regarding this specific skill.
- Gather the supplies: hand sanitizer and sterile gloves.
- Perform hand hygiene.
- Open the sterile gloves on a dry, flat, clean work surface.
- Remove the outer package by separating and peeling apart the sides of the package.
- Grasp the inner package and lay it on a clean, dry, flat surface at waist level.
- Open the top flap away from your body; open the bottom flap toward your body.
- Open the side flaps without contaminating the inside of the wrapper or allowing it to close.
- With your nondominant hand, use your thumb and index finger to only grasp the inside surface of the cuff of the glove for your dominant hand.
- Lift out the glove, being careful to not touch any surfaces and holding the glove no more than 12-18″ above the table without contaminating the sterile glove; carefully pull the glove over your hand.
- Use your nondominant, nonsterile hand to grasp the flap of the package, and hold the package steady. With the sterile glove on your dominant hand, hold 4 fingers together of the gloved hand to reach in the outer surface of the cuff of the sterile glove, reaching under the folded cuff and with the thumb outstretched to not touch the second sterile glove. Lift the glove off the package without breaking sterility.
- While holding the fingers of the nondominant hand outstretched and close together, tuck your thumb into the palm, and use the sterile dominant hand to pull the second sterile glove over the fingers of the nondominant hand.
- After the second sterile glove is on, interlock the fingers of your sterile gloved hands, being careful to keep your hands above your waist.
- Do not touch the inside of the package or the sterile part of the gloves with your bare hands during the process.
- Maintain sterility throughout the procedure of donning sterile gloves.
Removing Sterile Gloves
- Grasp the outside of one cuff with the other gloved hand. Avoid touching your skin.
- Pull the glove off, turning it inside out and gather it in the palm of the gloved hand.
- Tuck the index finger of your bare hand inside the remaining glove cuff and peel the glove off inside out and over the previously removed glove.
- Dispose of contaminated wastes appropriately.
- Perform hand hygiene.
- Open RN Project. (2021, November 11). Applying Sterile Gloves. [Video]. YouTube. Video licensed under CC-BY-4.0. https://youtu.be/xj8EAjJGn98 ↵