4.6 Checklist for Hand Hygiene with Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer
Open Resources for Nursing (Open RN)
Use the checklist below to review the steps for completion of “Hand Hygiene with Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer.”
Disclaimer: Always review and follow agency policy regarding this specific skill.
- Gather supplies (antiseptic hand rub).
- Remove jewelry according to agency policy; push your sleeves above your wrists.
- Apply enough product into the palm of one hand and enough to cover your hands thoroughly, per product directions.
- Rub your hands together, covering all surfaces of your hands and fingers with antiseptic until the alcohol is dry (a minimum of 30 seconds):
- Rub hands palm to palm
- Back of right and left hand (fingers interlaced)
- Palm to palm with fingers interlaced
- Rotational rubbing of left and right thumbs
- Rub your fingertips against the palm of your opposite hand
- Rub your wrists
- Repeat hand sanitizing sequence a minimum of two times.
- Repeat hand sanitizing sequence until the product is dry.