10.1 Respiratory Assessment Introduction
Open Resources for Nursing (Open RN)
- Perform a respiratory assessment
- Differentiate between normal and abnormal lung sounds
- Modify assessment techniques to reflect variations across the life span
- Document actions and observations
- Recognize and report deviations from norms
The evaluation of the respiratory system includes collecting subjective and objective data through a detailed interview and physical examination of the thorax and lungs. This examination can offer significant clues related to issues associated with the body’s ability to obtain adequate oxygen to perform daily functions. Inadequacy in respiratory function can have significant implications for the overall health of the patient.