- Assess patients for subjective and objective manifestations of alterations in comfort
- Identify factors related to comfort across the life span
- Adhere to standards of care for the patient experiencing pain
- Identify nonpharmacologic measures to minimize pain and discomfort
- Outline the plan for monitoring the patient response to the interventions for pain and discomfort
- Identify evidence-based practices related to assessing pain and providing comfort
Pain is a universal sensation that everyone experiences, and acute pain is a common reason why patients seek medical care. Nurses work with the interdisciplinary team to assess and manage pain in a multidimensional approach to provide comfort and prevent suffering. This chapter will review best practices and standards of care for the assessment and management of pain.