- Maintain a safe, clean, comfortable, therapeutic environment
- Respond appropriately in emergency situations
- Perform airway clearance maneuver
- Apply principles of body mechanics
- Demonstrate safe use and maintenance of equipment and supplies
- Make an occupied and unoccupied bed
Nursing assistants must provide safe, clean, comfortable environments and safely use equipment and supplies. This chapter will review common emergency situations and provide guidelines on how a nursing aide should respond. A typical nursing home environment will be described, and strategies for helping residents transition from living independently to residing in a facility will also be discussed. Proper equipment and body mechanics for lifting residents will also be described to help keep you and those you care for safe.