- Cite the classifications and actions of endocrine system drugs
- Give examples of when, how, and to whom endocrine system drugs may be administered
- Identify the side effects and special considerations associated with endocrine system drug therapy
- Identify the considerations and implications of using endocrine system medications across the lifespan
- Apply evidence-based concepts when using the nursing process
- Identify indications, side effects, and potential drug interactions associated with the use of herbal supplements
- Identify and interpret related laboratory tests
Have you ever wondered how your body controls functions such as digestion, metabolism, and the stress response? The endocrine system is always working behind the scenes, regulating various organs by releasing hormones and using feedback loops. This chapter will discuss medications that affect three of the major endocrine glands: the adrenal glands, the pancreas, and the thyroid. But before we get started with discussing medications, let’s review some key endocrine system concepts to understand the mechanism of action of endocrine medications.