10.1 Analgesics and Musculoskeletal Introduction
Open Resources for Nursing (Open RN)
- Cite the classifications and actions of analgesics
- Cite the classifications and actions of musculoskeletal system drugs
- Give examples of when, how, and to whom analgesics and musculoskeletal system drugs may be administered
- Identify the side effects and special considerations associated with analgesics
- Identify the side effects and special considerations associated with musculoskeletal system drugs
- Identify the considerations and implications of using analgesics across the life span
- Identify the considerations and implications of using musculoskeletal system medications across the life span
- Apply evidence-based concepts when using the nursing process
Complaints of pain are one of the most common reasons individuals seek out medical care. The pain signal indicates that something in the body is not quite right! Whether it be a headache, a broken bone, labor pain, chest pain, or other condition, pain assessment and treatment will become an important part of your daily work.
As a nurse, you will care for patients experiencing various types of pain manifestations and responses. It will be important for you to understand the various pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment methods available for your patients.