- Recognize nonverbal cues for physical and/or psychological stressors
- Provide patient education on stress management techniques
- Promote adaptive coping strategies
- Recognize the use of defense mechanisms
- Recognize a client in crisis
- Describe crisis intervention
Nurses support the emotional, mental, and social well-being of all clients experiencing stressful events and those with acute and chronic mental illnesses. This chapter will review stressors, stress management, coping strategies, defense mechanisms, and crisis intervention.